Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Coitus Interruptus


I promised (to whom, I'm not sure) that I would continue blogging about sex and art. But I got interrupted. Would that be coitus interruptus? The newly appointed MOCA director, Jeffrey Deitch, was the culprit that stymied my sex talk. After reading the deluge of ink on his new position here in the Los Angeles art world, I am reserving the right to wait and see. My previous blog was highly skeptical, but after the MOCA press conference, and his phone call to me, I've become somewhat sedated. Maybe it's not a bad thing after all. The one thing that has convinced me to not jump to conclusions, is the fact that Deitch is giving up an awful lot to come to LA. He had quite a lucrative thing going, and that won't be the case as much. Being the director of MOCA I'm sure comes with a few perks (understatement of the world), but his monthly income will surely be substantially lower. And do I really care? Of course not. But I'm impressed that he was willing to part with some of his millions for us, here in LA. I mean, that's sort of a sacrifice in this day and age — in our age of avarice and lust for attention.

So, we shall wait and see. On another completely different note. I will be going to Madrid, for the ARCO Los Angeles art fair. It was a complete surprise for me, but it's happening. I just learned of this news a couple of days ago, and I'm still reeling from it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Tulsa!!,

    We met at Edward Cella earlier this month; It was a pleasure.

    Awhh, ARCO!!
    I'm happy for you and more happier that we will hear about ARCO on Artillery for all of us that can't be there :(

    Kathryn Brennan Gallery will be there too!!. There's so much good stuff coming from Brennan (a.k.a SISTER).

    P.S. Hope I can make it tomorrow. Oh, and good luck!!!

    Have a lovely day,
    Arely!

    ReplyDelete